The prototype game that I made with @koboldskeep is up and available to play. It is still in early prototyping stage, and all the art is temporary programmer art. As we update and work on the game further I will keep updating here on my dev blog and on twitter.
So, been about a month since I’ve posted anything to this dev blog, about time I post a conglomeration of screenshots from what I’ve been working on. Here you go.
So yeah, been working on some small things. Basically I have a list of features I want to add to the game, so I’m using my ugly programmer-art prototype as a sandbox where I can build each feature. This past month I’ve been focusing on making keys and locks work, as well as making some cosmetic things to help me not get lost while playing and testing.
Likely the next feature I will implement is inventory. Not sure how long that is going to take, but I will likely post something when it’s in. Might also start teaching myself how to use Blender so I can make a slightly less ugly prototype for the next phase.
Due to some confusion and other comments about my game project I have decided to rename the game I’m working on. In lieu of Him I’ve decided to call the game Fear Him. It’s honestly a small change but I feel that the name is a little more descriptive.
My only concern with the title is that I wanted to avoid the word ‘fear’ in the title, since it’s not meant to be a horror game. Thoughts?
Made some progress on Him this weekend. I spent a few hours working on filling in the level design with some more rooms. Adding rooms, doors, etc take a surprising amount of time because of the non-euclidean level design, most of that time is just spent trying to wrap my head around my own sketch of the desired level. After that I decided that I wanted to start adding some things to make rooms unique. Yes, I want you to get lost, but I also want you to recognize when you’ve been in the same room 13 times while trying to find the exit.
Adding graffiti-style messages to the walls accomplishes this. Additionally, the scrawls on the walls serve a storytelling purpose, and help to add the creepy factor. So, I spent some time getting texture projectors working in unity. The result is I was able to add a nice greeting to the first room of my demo/test level.
The next feature I got working this weekend is keys. Well, by that I mean there are now keys in the level that you can interact with and pick up. This adds a key to the players inventory, if you have at least 1 key in your inventory a message tells you so in the corner of the screen. As far as doing anything with the keys, that will have to be the next feature to add to the game.
I added a yellow point light to them so that they can stand out and be more noticeable. The next step planned is to add a lock to the door seen in the first picture so that it will only open if you have a key in your inventory, and will remove the key when used.